Proudly Serving Middle Tennessee Since 2006

Get Answers To Common Questions About Criminal Matters

One of the most important functions of any attorney is to answer people’s questions when they face legal challenges. At Keeton Law Firm, PLLC, delivering no-nonsense, personalized answers is our top priority. Schedule a consultation to ask questions such as the following:

What do I do if police ask to search my vehicle or home? Do I have to let them do so if they ask?

You do not generally have to let police search your car unless they have a probable cause to believe that you are hiding illegal substances. There are numerous exceptions and special circumstances to take into account, so you should consult with a lawyer to determine whether the police violated your right to protection from illegal search and seizure when they searched your car.

In most cases, you do not have to let law enforcement officers search your home without a search warrant.

If your rights were violated in a search and seizure incident, a skilled defense attorney may succeed at having evidence suppressed. No matter what has happened, contact a lawyer as soon as possible.

I live out of state. Can I hire an attorney from my home state?

If you were charged with a crime in Tennessee, you should be represented by a lawyer who is licensed to practice in Tennessee.

However, you may also wish to work with a lawyer in your home state. Ask if they are licensed to practice in Tennessee or if they are willing to seek licensure here to represent you. Keep in mind that it is valuable to have an attorney local to where you were arrested on your case. Keeton Law Firm, PLLC, is open to working with out-of-state lawyers in co-counsel arrangements.

The situation that resulted in criminal charges was a mistake and not reflective of my character. I have no previous criminal record. Is there hope for keeping my record clean?

Tennessee laws allow many first-time offenders to demonstrate their ability to stay out of trouble and keep their records clean. Someone without prior convictions who has been charged with a misdemeanor may qualify for pretrial diversion or judicial diversion. It either scenario, if the defendant meets the terms of probation, including making monthly payments to the court, the case may be dropped.

Why are there so many arrests at Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival every year?

From parking violations to drug crimes and violent assaults, opportunities abound for disobeying the law at large outdoor gatherings. Keeton Law Firm, PLLC, has earned a reputation for helping many defendants obtain good outcomes after they have been arrested.

How Can I Get Answers To My Own Questions?

Call 931-400-2548 or request a consultation by email. We look forward to hearing from you.