In the moments after a car accident, you likely are in a bit of a haze. You quickly check to see if you have been injured and try to assess how bad your injuries are. You may feel anxious and overwhelmed if you realize you are hurt. You might not feel sure about what to do next. As a result of your uncertainty, you could unknowingly make a false step that impacts your personal injury claim.
So, understanding how to avoid making a misstep after an accident injury is important. Here are seven mistakes to avoid if you suffer an injury in an auto accident:
- Not reporting the accident to police. You want to have an official police report detailing where the accident occurred and what vehicles were involved. You will need a police report as part of your property and personal injury claim.
- Not seeking medical attention right away. You also need to seek immediate medical attention, to document your injuries and how serious they are. If you experience injury symptoms days or even weeks later, you need to seek medical attention for that too. You may have an injury that you weren’t initially aware of. You don’t want an insurance company to claim your injuries were pre-existing and not the result of the crash.
- Admitting fault in the accident. You may feel you caused the accident. However, admitting fault for the crash is not a good idea. The other driver may be more at fault than you realize. Plus, by admitting fault, you can impact your ability to get proper compensation for your accident injuries.
- Posting information on social media that could harm your injury claim. If you suffered a serious back injury in a crash, you want to avoid posting photos of you going on a horseback ride or skiing. You also don’t want to post any check-ins to your yoga class. You don’t want to post anything an insurance company could use to show your injuries aren’t as serious as they are or contradict your testimony about what your injuries are.
- Accepting a settlement from an insurance company. If your insurance company, or the other driver’s, offers you a settlement for your accident injuries, you need to consult a personal injury attorney. Often, insurance companies try to settle an injury claim for the lowest amount possible, so they can move forward and get a claim resolved. Yet, you could be eligible for more compensation than you realize or you may need more money to cover future care costs. You want to ensure you get maximum compensation for the injuries you received.
By taking the right steps after suffering an injury in an accident, you protect your best interests. You can know you will be in a better position to receive the compensation you deserve and can focus more on your recovery and getting your life more back to normal.